Fit Recovery

Home » Cycling » Along The Road/Tri Bike Discussion: Did you know…?

Along The Road/Tri Bike Discussion: Did you know…?

Archives

March 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Did you know that only 25% of the aerodynamic drag on a bike is actually attributable to the bike?  That would make the other 75% me.  That doesn’t sound too crazy…

But this does:

“Most people don’t realize that a nonaero helmet creates four times the drag of a nonaero wheelset. So you can spend two thousand dollars on a wheelset, or spend two hundred on a helmet and be faster. How you put your race number on matters more than having an aero wheel; today, we glued on our numbers to get them to fit flatter. Then there’s water bottle placement: On a round-tubed frame, having a bottle on your seat tube is more aerodynamic than not having one at all, and it’s much more aero than putting it on the down tube. And wearing gloves in a time trial will slow you down more than using a nonaero front wheel”.

Truth be told, you don’t even need $200.

Also, because I’ll be using a road bike in my 70.3 in September, you can cheat the seat tube angle on a road bike with a special seat post (that can get you to the magic 78 degree angle to get your opened hips almost over the bottom bracket).  And they come in Aluminum or Carbon – the aluminum is less than $100.

While cruising around yesterday, I stumbled on this great image that shows the geometry difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike:

Happy training day.  May your Saturday be productive, healthy, happy and injury free.  And remember:  If it was easy, anyone could do it.  More importantly, don’t quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens.


1 Comment

  1. […] but I’m not a top-level athlete by any means, but I do like fast finishing times.  FitRecovery makes some great points in his post about tri vs road bikes and I’m looking into getting one of the seat posts that he mentions to “convert” […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: