Fit Recovery

Home » Cycling » Century Recap

Century Recap


August 2012

My day started in a flurry of activity at 4:30 this morning. I had everything prepped last night before turning in – bike in perfect working order. Shoes, clothes and equipment bag all laid out. On-board food packed, camelbak out and ready to be filled (I did go that route and was thankful I did). Manscaping was done last night, I had everything done to a point that all I had to do was load the car before I left. I do not do well if I have to rush the day of to get things sorted – it almost always precedes a bonk on the course.

On waking I immediately got the coffee going and started with breakfast – an oversized bowl of raisin and whole grain cereal and a banana. Two cups of coffee later and I was in the shower – note to self… Don’t ever try to get into Lycra cycling shorts immediately after a shower. Good God, I almost fell over twice. After loading my stuff I was out the door.

I parked about 3/4 of a mile from the start so I could get a bit of a warmup in. A couple spins around the block and I signed my if I get killed it’s not your fault waiver, drank a Gatorade Prime (I love that stuff) and waited for the start.

I started toward the front, but not close enough. As with running races for some stupid reason the lollygaggers love to clog the front. I spent 5 minutes on the first mile trying to get around them. After that it was Katie bar the door. I spent the next ten miles looking for a group to latch on to before finding the ultimate pace-line… Three strong TT bikers and a couple of road bikers. I latched on with them for the next forty miles, the didn’t give up the lead once…and I didn’t complain. We blew right by the first rest stop (thank God I had the Camelbak). They kept a perfect pace and by the time we hit the second at mile 50, we were on pace for a 4-1/2 hour finish! We stopped and topped off the H2O bottles and I had a banana and some extreme Cherry energy beans – and sat in the shade for a minute as the temperature was getting ridiculous.

Unfortunately that was the end of our pace-line too. Some of the guys had wiped themselves out with the pace and were sticking around the water cooler extra long, a few stopped just to top off their bottles. I ended up heading out with several of the guys from the club I belong to who had arrived just after we did – all of whom I rode with on the 4th of July 80.

They started out great, for the first five, before they put the hammer down. I was tired enough, I wasn’t about to kill myself with 40-some miles to go so I dropped back to hang with another guy that had dropped just before me. We took turns pulling at a decent, if slower pace for the next 25 miles until he blew up just after a rest/water/pizza stop. I rode solo from there.

At mile 78 the climbing really ramped up. It was brutal to say the least. I could feel little mini-cramps in my thighs with every pedal stroke up the brazillion hills, some up to 15%, but I motored on, intent on beating my goal.

It was in the mid 90’s by then and I was really hurting from the pace of the first 50. I pulled up on the final rest stop in mile 90 to a sign that read 7.8 to go. I stopped just long enough to top off my bottles, eat a final bag of beans and I was gone… One more pain in the ass of a climb followed by a 36 mph descent and only two miles left. I thought about sitting up and cruising but opted to push for my best time possible. I crossed the line spent at 5h:12m:25s.

I was a little disappointed in the second half time of just under 3 hours considering the first half 2:15, but hey, I didn’t have a train to draft behind on the last half.

I topped of a bottle quickly and rode back to my truck, tired but incredibly satisfied I’d got ‘er done.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: