I finally got down to fixing up my Cannondale, the last bike in the stable this last week…
I ordered a saddle from the Specialized Outlet the other day for my Cannondale and stopped by the bike shop for some new bar tape on Tuesday, ironically about 30 minutes before my dad died.
Last week I had the frame straightened, stretched and manipulated for new wheels so that bike, finally, is complete and looks good.
What started this was a ride on the Cannondale, the last ride of the season, with the Specialized Romin saddle from my 5200. The setup of the Cannondale just doesn’t work with that saddle. First, the Romin has almost no padding. With an all aluminum bike (not even a carbon fork), the lack of padding simply hurts too much over the long haul, even with $150 shorts. Second, the C’dale is a 54 cm frame, small for a 6′ tall guy so the seat post is raised quite a bit over the top tube to get the right saddle height. I’m also a bit particular about keeping the stem down so what I end up with borders on a pro setup, without the masseuse or flexibility. With a drop like that, I end up putting a lot of pressure on a few places that don’t take pressure too well. While I know better than to buy a granny seat, having an aggressive saddle with just a couple of more millimeters of padding made sense (at least so far)…and it just so happened that they had such a saddle on sale in the outlet for only twenty bucks.
The only two things left are trying to find a nail polish to match the Cannondale’s blue paint (no easy task) and to fix a couple of the decals. If it comes to it, I have a feeling I’ll be able to pick up some model paint in the right color and that will work just fine – actually in this case that might be the way to go as the finish should match better with model paint. I’ve got time for that though, that’ll be something for when I need something to do.