The weather last night was typical for November… Sadly it’s October. ‘Bout time it caught up with us. It was cold, damp and windy. Still, I showed up, because that’s what we do. My gut doesn’t care if it’s a bit nippley outside. Oops, did I say nipple?!
Anyway, the brilliant Weather Channel said a 15% chance of rain. Fifteen percent, at one time, meant the Venge was going out because there’s an 85% chance it won’t rain… Now it seems like a 15% chance of rain means an 85% chance of sprinkles with only a 15% chance of a downpour.
The warm up sucked. Shortened due to impending darkness, we were wet before the second mile was done – and it only got worse…
We managed to keep our warm by taking laps around the 1/2 mile block and the sprinkling stopped. We rolled out at 5:30, Mike and I in the lead but not before cracking a decent joke… One of the guys who shows up now and again noticed my perfect choice of matching kit and said, “Man, check you out all decked out!” I did, if I do say so myself (and I do), look smashingly awesome. I said, amidst my group of friends, “Well I figured out how to work the kit… If I can’t ride like Dave, I should at least dress like him.” Dave recently took a podium spot at a huge Crit amongst Cat 1, 2 & 3 cyclists – Dave’s fast. We all had a laugh at my expense and rolled out.
We pulled into the wind at 18.5 mph (not terribly bad into an 18 mph wind) for a mile before falling back… and that’s precisely when the skies opened up, again.
Mike looked at me and said, “You know, I could be done.”
That’s all I needed to hear. We turned tail and headed back to the parking lot as the rain picked up…
I don’t need the miles. Not this late in the season. Not that bad. We packed our bikes into our vehicles and beat a path for home.
I’ve eaten dinner, had a cup of coffee and have watched the rest of the Cubs win over St. Louis (!). I’m just starting to warm up.
I’ll hear about it next week, from Phill and Dave, but I’m okay with it. I’ll live. Meh.